Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

We got up early this morning to have nice breakfast at the nearby diner. It was fabulous- as one would expect. We had to split the holiday so we headed into Manhattan to spend the morning/early afternoon with Andre's Grandfather.

He is a very difficult man to shop for so our gift to him was a "#1 Grandpa" picture frame with a picture of the two of us. It was very simple and cost hardly anything- and yet we seemed to make his day/week/month with this simple gift. It got me thinking how sometimes little gestures like that really are more important than big fancy gifts.

Unfortunately though, the trip wasn't all fun and laughter. His grandfather is a father to him (and just like my own grandpa since I never got to meet mine). But age is getting the worst of him and the poor sweet man is coming very frail and sickly. I fear the absolute worst- that he may not make it to see his one and only grandchild get married. We still have 3.5 months before the big day. And even if God doesn't take him home before then, he may be in no shape to make the trip to long island and attend the wedding.

I spoke to Andre about holding the actual marriage ceremony at his parent's home. His grandparents can be in their pjs if they want! We'll bring my parents and sister over there so they can witness it and we can do a really small ceremony so that everyone who matters is with us. Andre hates the idea (but I think he really just hates the idea of his grandfather ailing). It's such a horrible situation. I need clarity on how to make this situation work- and how we can make SURE that his grandfather is included in the wedding one way or another. Even if we have to marry before the wedding, in his parents apartment.

ugh.

On another note- after that emotional visit we spend the afternoon/evening with my family and gave Daddy his father's day gift. We had lots of laughs over there which helped our moods cheer up a little bit.

Off to bed now. I'm working the evening shift tomorrow (3pm-11pm) so I get to sleep in a little big (praise Jesus).

Thinking of fathers today. OUR LORD my father, my Daddy, and Andre's Grandfather who is the same to me as he is to Andre:
Proverbs 23:24
The father of a righteous man has great joy;
he who has a wise son delights in him.
(NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment